Remember in my first post where I mentioned reviewing slash criticizing slash worshiping tv? Well I've done a lot of the first two and not so much of the third. But last night deserves so major worshiping. I was faced with a dilemma because Bones (on Fox) airs directly opposite The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother (both CBS). Bones and HIMYM are two of my favs (my other favs being The Office and the brilliant but canceled Veronica Mars), and I also really like BBT, but it was the first new Bones since NOVEMBER so I watched that last night and the CBS shows this morning.

Bones. A bit of background: brilliant but socially awkward (wow that's the second time I've used the word brilliant today) forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan and her team at the Jeffersonian (representing the Smithsonian) work to solve crimes with Special Agent Seeley Both, of the FBI. Pretty good summary, eh? Anyways, despite being a murder mystery show, it's very character driven, due in large part to the tension between Booth and Bones. It's delicious.

Last night's episode (I'm trying to do quick summaries today, mostly because I'm tired, and also because I have work to do) was pretty good. Of the three shows I watched last night, this one was probably the weakest, but I still enjoyed it. I was looking for more Booth/Bones goodness The last time we saw them, they kissed under mistletoe as a dare and I was hoping for more awkwardness resulting from that kiss. Last night they seemed more brother/sister-y than secretly want to jump each other's bones-y. Sweets, their therapist (the incomparable John Francis Daley, of Freaks and Geeks), forced them to go on a double date with him and his girlfriend (who I think was played by that girl from My So-Called Life, the girl who had a thing for Brian and then for Ricky). It was pretty contrived, but as I said before, I was just happy to have my Bones back. And I love Sweets. Love love love Sweets. I really hope he helps out with more cases. The case of the week wasn't that interesting- it involved a murder of a man whose body was dumped in the mud. P.S. I totally called the killer. I didn't know why she did it, but I knew it was Phillipa (yup, I just gave it away) from the very first scene with her. No more on the Gormagon case, which is the main mystery this season and not enough of the squints (the scientists in the lab). I need my Zach and Angela and Hodgins fix! I'm even starting to like Cam (now that she's not sleeping with Booth...) I think Cam and Zach are cute together. Not as a romantic couple, but more that she's kind of his substitute mom at the Jeffersonian. So I was digging their scenes. But there was absolutely no Angela/Hodgins couple-ness! I mean, I know the only time we saw them this week was in the lab, but come on, they're engaged! If I was watching for the first time last night, I wouldn't have even known that they were together. So overall, the episode gets a B. Next week, they are airing the episode that got pulled last year because of Virgina Tech. Wow, it's almost exactly a year after it was supposed to air. I don't know exactly how that is going to work because at that point, Hodgins and Angela weren't engaged, but I guess we'll see. What I'm really looking forward to is the start of Bones's dad's trial (Oh yeah, btdubs, he murdered a bunch of people. Also her mom's dead. You can't have a tv show without parental issues...) So, wasn't really impressed this week, but OMG Bones is BACK!!!

I was very impressed with The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. Now, BBT isn't one of my must-see shows, but I still really enjoy it. It's pretty funny. Also, it has a great theme song. Last night's episode involved a 15 year old boy showing up Sheldon (the nerdiest of the nerds) in math/science. It was a great episode (although I still don't like Penny, their blond, non-nerdy neighbor. I know she's supposed to be their foil, but she's just not funny.) The only thing that would have made it better is if the 15 year old was a girl. A 15 year old girl besting Sheldon in physics would have destroyed him even more.

On to How I Met Your Mother. Have to get this out of the way first: I LOVE HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER! It's hilarious, it's unique, and Neil Patrick Harris. I'm sorry, NPH is reason enough to watch the show. At a later date I will go into more detail about why you should watch HIMYM, but for now, just watch "Slap Bet." It will get you hooked. Oh and P.S. it also has a great theme song. So, last night's episode was entitled "The Chain of Screaming" and involved Marshal quiting his job, Ted buying (and then selling) a new car, Lily being horny, Robin continuing her streak of having good lines/an actual part again, and Barney being Barney. Lots of funny moments, and lots of times where I was like yay. I'm sorry, that sentence did not make much sense. What I meant about yay moments was seeing Ted and Robin getting along as friends, Lily applying her methods for dealing with her kindergartens to all situations, and, most of all, lots of Robin/Barney stuff. You just know that those two are going to hook up (if they're not secretly hooking up already). Plus, Marshall talking in a high, girly voice. Love it! So i have to go eat dinner, but this episode rates an A. I'm so excited for next week- new Robin Sparkles video!!!

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - MADdy's TV - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template