I want those two hours of my life back: Disney's "Camp Rock"

So after watching "The Godfather" last night for the first time (I know, where have I been all my life and why haven't I seen it before?) (It was amazing, by the way) (My mom's dog is in it. During the scene where Diane Keaton is talking to Al Pachino outside the school (Ross School, my mom's elementary school), a boy rides by on a bike, chased by a dog. That's Pixie.) (My mom wrote the director saying she understood her dog had been used in the movie (there were no leash laws, so Pixie would run free around the neighborhood) and she asked for either a credit for Pixie or a year's worth of dog food. He never responded.) (Anyway.), I decided to flip through the channels and see if there was anything else on TV. I ended up watching most of the monstrosity that is "Camp Rock."

It was so bad, I actually have a newfound respect for "High School Musical." And I hate that movie (both of them, in fact). I'm not even going to go into how unrealistic the camp setting was. I'm not even going to go into the fact that while "Shane" was singing his song for "Mitchie" beside the lake, he magically had back-up vocals. I'm not even going to go into the terrible acting and singing (a standard in Disney Channel movies). I'm going to go into the fact that this movie sends a terrible message to kids.

Seriously, be yourself? The protagonist lied for most of the movie becuase she was ashamed that she didn't have quite as much money as the other kids (though her designer clothes would dispute that fact) and wanted to be popular. She never came clean; her secret was revealed by the mean blond girl (also a standard in Disney movies). And of course, everything turned out alright in the end. Her parents weren't even mad that she was ashamed of them. So let's see, if I lie about who I really am, I'll get what I want. Yay! At least "High School Musical" really has the message "be yourself." (It is, in fact, pounded down our throats). Disney Channel movies should be harmless, mindless entertainment. This movie was not.

The only two people who were watchable were Kevin Jonas (I dislike the Jonas Brothers, by the way. I listen to real music. Wow, I sound like a snob. But seriously, The Jonas Brothers do not sing real music.) and Alyson Stoner, who played an "aspiring music producer." He provided the comic relief, and she has actual talent as a dancer. But the stars of the movie fell flat. In all honesty, I would rather watch Troy get angry and stomp around a golf course. (That was a "High School Musical" reference, for you people over 40.)

2 comments:

Pixie said...

Thanks for the plug!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree - I watched this show for 2 minutes, and went screaming from the room...

Copyright © 2008 - MADdy's TV - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template