A Bed, Some Broadway, and a Bunch of Shirtless Boys

Yes, I know it's been a while since I've written. But if the loyal reader (my mother) who keeps bugging me to write more would get us a DVR, so I can still watch my shows if I'm out having a life when said shows originally air, I would able to be able to write more frequently.

Last night on SYTYCD: a bed, some Broadway, and a bunch of shirtless boys. I love this show.

Each couple danced twice, which meant there was less time for the stupid filler videos. I spent like five minutes staring at Cat's hair trying to figure it out and then I realized it was upswept (is that the right word?) to make it look shorter but she didn't actually cut it. Mystery solved. The guest judges were Tabitha and Napoleon. They have such cool names--I'm jealous.

First up were Jessica and Will, dancing a jive. Will was awesome, and I really wish Jessica would just go home already. Later they do a Mandy Moore jazz routine. They used a shirt prop and it turned out pretty well. Still don't like Jessica. I just can't get over the fact that she couldn't spell Vegas. Also I think I just need someone to hate on shows like this.

New couple Comfort and Thanye (Chris and Chelsea T. went home last week) danced to "Cool" from "West Side Story." Because of that, I had the entire soundtrack to "West Side Story" stuck in my head last night. Rather than fight it, I stayed up late and listened to the music. Anyways. Maybe it's because the movie is just so amazing and nothing can compare or maybe it's because Thanye couldn't stop smiling through what was supposed to be a really intense number, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I actually agreed with Nigel's criticism (minus the getting booed off Broadway), which was off-putting, because I hate agreeing with Nigel. Or with Mary. I want to be original, dammit! Later C&T dance a smooth waltz. It is nice. Honestly, that's all I can say, I don't know anything about waltz nor am I partial to slow dances like that. I bet they're in the bottom three. And Thanye goes home. Because let's face it, he's a lot like Chris. And he has that creepy smile.

Matt and Kourtni do hip-hop to "How Do I Breathe" by Mario. I didn't really like the routine, but even if I did, eh. Matt and Kourtni aren't the hip-hopping type. The judges are more or less in line with that statement. And we move on. Later, they do a mambo. The judges talk some mumbo-jumbo about technique, but I don't know anything about that. All I know is that I liked it. Didn't love it, but it was entertaining. And now I'm starting to sound like Mary. Noooooo...

Chelsie and Mark do a Mandy Moore jazz routine to "Kiss Kiss." Hey I know this song! It was in "What A Girl Wants." Which I most certainly was not obsessed with when I was 12 and for sure do not own the soundtrack or know the name of the hot boy who played Amanda Bynes's love interest (Oliver James. What? I have a good memory...) Right. This was the first number of the night that I absolutely loved. It was just so fast and hot and they did such a great job!!! Also, I feel I must point out that at this point in the show, there had been four routines. Of the last three, I knew two of the songs. The one I did not know was by Mario. I find that amusing. Mark and Chelsie's second dance was a foxtrot to a Paul Anka (reminds me of "Gilmore Girls") version of Bon Jovi's "It's My Life." I laughed a little bit when I realized that. I liked it, but not as much as their first routine.

Kherrington and Twitch dance a Paso Doble. Kherrington looks mad intense (for possibly the first time in her life) and overall it was a strong number. Oh man, I wish they had done "Cool." The judges had mixed reactions on the Paso Doble, but everyone (including me) loved their second routine. A Mia Michaels contemporary routine to "Dreaming With a Broken Heart," the dance essentially took place on a raised bed. I have to say, a few weeks ago I wasn't the biggest fan of Mia Michaels, but her two routines, along with the "Kiss Kiss" number, were easily the strongest of the night.

Katee and Joshua had the other Mia Michaels dance, to a song called "Hometown Glory." I don't know how to describe it, but there were lots of twirls and leaps and running across the stage and it was amazing. K&J's second routine was a west coast swing choreographed by season two winner Benji Schwimmer. His win (and his sister Lacey's appearance on the show) happened before I was watching SYTYCD, but I've heard that the Schwimmer kids kick butt. The routine is pretty cool (it ends with an awesome hip bump), and I think because I haven't watched previous seasons, I'm less biased than the judges, who were comparing this routine to swing routines in past years. But regardless, they'll be safe.

Dancing last are Courtney and Gev. Their first routine is hip hop and it kinda-sorta-but-not-completely works. I have to say, the hip hop last night was not that strong. Their second routine was another Broadway routine from new choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler (He also did "Cool." And I have to say, criticisms of "Cool" aside (which were really Comfort and Thanye's fault), he is a lot better than Tyce, the show's usual go-t0 Broadway guy.) They dance to "New York, New York" from "On the Town." Another musical I love. The movie has a funny scene where the protagonists knock over a dinosaur skeleton in the American Museum of Natural History. Anyways, Courtney and Gev do a good job. It could have been better, but overall, I liked it.

Prediction time! Bottom three: Jessica and Will, Kourtni and Matt, Comfort and Thanye. Going home: Jessica and Thanye. If that happens, Comfort and Will will be partners, which could be interesting. We'll find out tonight...

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - MADdy's TV - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template