Watch the DVDs!, "Veronica Mars" edition

I don't believe in signs, but if I did, I would believe that my dream last night about "Veronica Mars" (which slowly morphed into a dream about camp where the cabins were two feet tall, but that's irrelevant) was a sign that I should write about this show. I've wanted to for a while, but since there have been no new episodes to write about since May 2007, (I hate you Dawn Ostroff)(haha I just goggled "Dawn Ostroff evil" and there were 7,010 results) I never really got around to it. But now I will start my first in an (probably) occasional series about shows you should check out on DVD (I hope to at least also get around to "Firefly" and "Freeks and Geeks"). Also, there are rumors that a "Veronica Mars" movie is in the works, so catch up now so you can go see this sure-to-be-awesome movie when it comes out.

Why You Should Watch "Veronica Mars" on DVD:

1. This show was the best thing ever on television. I am not exagerating when I say it is my favorite show of all time (and I like a lot of good shows). It has everything- drama, mystery, suspense, romance, and teen angst at its finest.

2. The characters and the relationships are incredibly interesting and complex. This show has one of the best father-daughter relationships on television. It also has two bests friends of the opposite sex who never even consider getting together, which is very rare on TV.

3. The mysteries and their conclusions will leave your head spinning. Each season has one (or two, in season three's case) overarching mystery. It is introduced in the first episode of the season, concluded in the finale, and revisted along the way in a manner that serves the arc without getting in the way of the mystery of the week.

4. The voice-overs are amazing. Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars) is now the voice of "Gossip Girl," but her voice-overs here are completely different. They're emotional, often poetic, and they serve the plot without becoming a crutch.

A lot of people didn't want to watch this show because it was being promoted as "Look at that cute little blond girl solving mysteries, just like Nancy Drew!" when in fact Veroncia Mars is a badass. She doesn't take crap from anybody. She sometimes lies and cheats to get what she wants, but it always serves a better purpose. And she's incredibly funny. I quote lines from this show ("This? My over the moon face." "It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." "Iced tea? How very musical theatre of you.") on a daily basis. It's one of those rare shows that can leave you in hysterics one minute and in tears the next.

There's so much more to say about this fantasic show, but I'll stop now so you can go out right away and get the DVDs. Actually, you should really only get them if you have a lot of time to kill. Trust me, you're going to need it. Watch the first episode and you'll be addicted.


P.S. My dream last night? Yeah, it had Kristen Bell singing and featured a major couple on the show being together (I wrote this all out and then it occured to me that (blank) and (blank) getting together is one of the best surprises of the series and I didn't want to ruin it for anybody who hasn't seen the show yet.) It was awesome.

2 comments:

TiVo Queen said...

I still hate Dawn.
http://tivoqueen.blogspot.com/2007/10/f-u-dawn-ostroff.html

Point #2 is definitely one of the biggest draws of the show for me. They went through a Wallace-Lite period and I was so glad when they pulled him back in.

My favorite quote is still "Dream on Jumpstreet."

Lily said...

who is dawn? whatev, point is this show IS FANTASTIC. the characters are vivid, the acting is awesome, and it isn't the typical glossy, happy world full of beautiful people you mostly see on TV. but most importantly, it brought us the best moment ever to occur on television:

veronica: read what it says on the bill.
sherrif lam: veronica mars is... smarter than me.
veronica: oh, you stop it!

Copyright © 2008 - MADdy's TV - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template