Skins DVD!

So I finally saw Slumdog Millionaire yesterday and it was AMAZING. I had wanted to see it ever since I heard Dev Patel (Anwar from Skins) played a major role, and the movie did not disappoint. Seriously, go see it. I promise you will be raving about it for weeks. Anyhoo, Slumdog Millionaire and all of its fabulousness is a good segue into my next topic, the Skins DVD.

Get ready for some unabashed Skins loving.

Did you know that Skins is out on DVD? True story. So normally I don't write about DVDs, but Liz from American Pop contacted me after she read my Skins post from a couple months ago and asked me to help get the word out. Which, considering how much I love Skins, I am more than happy to do.

I wrote about the show way back in September (same link as above, which is a hint that you really should read that post because I go into far more detail than I'm going to do here), but here are a few key points:

-It's basically like Gossip Girl on crack, minus the wealth and the high society element. These are just regular teenagers, engaging in the same type of behavior that has made parents cringe since the beginning of time. The difference between this show and other shows like Dawson's Creek or 9021-- (sorry, just writing the name of that show makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit) is that on Skins, there aren't always lessons learned. Like I said before, no Very Special Episodes here.

-British accents! Isn't that enough of a reason in it of itself?

-The music is fantastic. MGMT, Bloc Party, TV on the Radio, it's all good. (I actually don't know how much of the music is going to be on the DVD-- often music rights are not extended to the DVDs, but at least some of it should be intact.)

-Each episode is named after, and focuses on, one (and occasionally two) characters. This format allows for different perspectives and lots of character development all around.

Bottom line, it's a little bit of a guilty pleasure and at times somewhat absurd (particularly during the second season, although this DVD only includes the first-- and better-- season), but overall it's a fun, interesting, and sometimes disturbingly real (well, it doesn't disturb me, but it sure as hell would disturb my parents) show about teenagers.

You can buy the DVD here.

P.S. If you need an episode to get you hooked, watch Cassie (episode 2). Here's a clip from her episode (watch 0:57 to 2:22).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Skins too! I just finished watching the DVD last night and I CAN'T WAIT for season three to come out in America. I'm so upset that everyone in England can see season 3 before me.

Lily said...

ive only seen the first 2 eps, but this makes me cised to see the rest. YAY FOR BRITISH SCAMPS.

Anonymous said...

Skins is awesome! Especially love the video diaries! :D

Copyright © 2008 - MADdy's TV - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template