Summer TV

Ah, summer. Instead of spending my time doing homework, I'll be going to the pool, learning to drive (hopefully...), and flying across the country to see friends and family. Oh, and I'll also be watching TV. Since most of the shows that I watch are done for the season, I'm trying to figure out what is going to fill the empty void inside me that only TV can satiate.

Here's what I've got so far:


So You Think You Can Dance. This show is pretty much fantastic. Even though one of the judges conveys her approval by screaming, SYTYCD is one of the best reality shows out there. The dances are amazing, the contestants talented and generally likable, and host Cat Deeley can do no wrong. Last week a contestant went in to hug her but stopped because he was sweaty and didn't want to ruin her clothes. She proceeded to grab him and give him a big hug, exclaiming, "Dry cleaning! Dry cleaning! Dry cleaning!" How can you not love someone like that? (Wednesdays and Thursdays, started last week)

Burn Notice. Last season ended when burned spy Micheal Weston jumped out of a helicopter. Into the ocean. Let me repeat that, he freaking JUMPED OUT OF A HELICOPTER. INTO THE OCEAN. Micheal Weston is the epitome of awesome (well, him and Barney Stinson), and his friends Sam and Fi aren't bad either. I should also add that this show is very educational. Last season Micheal taught the audience how to bullet-proof a car with phone books, among other things. (Side note: If you're bored, trying talking like Micheal Weston. My brother and I do this occasionally. "When you're a spy [crazy cool spy action] is like [simple, everyday action]." It's quite fun.) (June 4)

Lost. Aforementioned brother is obsessed with this show and insists that I watch it. Which I will (because apperently it's good or something?), but I must admit that I am a bit frightened. As in, I think this show is going to scare the crap out of me. (And if you tell me it's not scary, keep in mind that I was scared the first time I saw Mulan (I was six, but still). I was scared the first time I saw the Drew Barrymore Cinderella movie (Ever After, I think it was called), because there were some gypsies who were mean to Drew for like five seconds. When I saw Psycho, I made my friends tell me ahead of time when people were going to die and I was still scared. So yeah, I scare easily.) Still, I'm going to give Lost a try because it does look pretty cool and also because Johnny won't leave me alone until I do. (DVDs)

Battlestar Galactica. This was a show that I always thought I would get around to eventually, but it's looking like it might happen sooner rather than later because my friend Adam offered to lend me the DVDs. So, yes. Exciting. (DVDs)

10 Things I Hate About You. Yeah, they're making a TV show out of the movie. Personally I think this is a travesty, but I sort of have to see it. I am fully prepared to hate it, though. I mean, the movie is one of my all time favorites and the preview for the show looks kind of terrible. Check it out:

(July 7)

Psych. Sadly, this is not coming back until August. Until then, I plan on eating plenty of pinapples in its honor (Actually, I plan on eating lots of pineapples this summer because I love pineapples. But shhh...) (August 7)

Pushing Daisies. The final (*sob*) three episodes are airing Saturday nights, starting this weekend (when I will not be home, but that's not the point. I have a DVR.) Oh Piemaker, why didn't more people watch your adventures? (May 30)

That's what I've got so far. Anyone have other suggestions? After the jump.

4 comments:

Martha Flynn said...

my summer will be burn notice, burn notice and a little more burn notice

i was debating whether to get into the bbc mi5 series or friday night lights which i missed the first time around

Lily said...

oh my god. 10 things I hate about you is going to suck so bad.
"why are people scared of you?"
"why are people scared of YOU?"
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? THAT IS THE LAMEST PIECE OF DIALOGUE I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE.
I am actually going to weep and throw a temper tantrum if it doesn't get cancelled after like half an episode.
that was one of the best high-school chick flicks of ALL TIME. why, abc family? WHY?

Meredith said...

Oh man. I hadn't watched any ads for 10 Things I Hate About You until now. I thought it might be kind of decent because Lindsey Shaw was pretty good in Aliens in America, but oh gosh, that looks awful... ditto what Lily said...

I'm thinking of watching a lot of RTN this summer because most new summer shows just can't compete with the entertainment value of the original Knight Rider or the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. And I still have several episodes of Freaks & Geeks I haven't watched yet, though I'm trying to watch them sparingly so it won't feel like the show was canceled before I knew it existed.

Mads said...

Friday Night Lights! That's another one I've got to watch sooner or later.

And Lily and I will probably also watch Wipeout, most likely while simultaneously having a serious conversation. Because that's how we roll- "I really don't know what to do about this guy, he's just--holy crap that guy just got hit in the face by a giant red plank!"

Meredith- That's a good call-- I hadn't even thought about watching classic TV. Perhaps some Little House on the Prairie? Or Mash? Or Cheers? And have fun with the end of Freaks and Geeks! I will just tell you this to get you excited: Jason Segel dances.

Copyright © 2008 - MADdy's TV - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template