Glee: At least the music was good...

I'm right in the demo for this one: young, female, and a huge musical fan. And I wanted to love it so badly. In fact, when I saw the promos, I thought I was going to, but alas, that was not the case. Don't get me wrong, I loved the music (was that the Austin Powers theme being sung a capella?) But the rest of the show was a disappointment.


Maybe my school is too big to support such rigid hierarchies (it could also be that most of our sports teams suck and that the math/science/comp. sci. magnet is what brings attention to the school), but Glee's portrayal of high school did not ring true at all. In my school, if one group of kids hates another, they just ignore them. No nailing lawn furniture to roofs or throwing eggs. And playing sports doesn't automatically mean you're a jerk (take it from a former (and future, if I ever get better) athlete) just like being into music doesn't make you a loser. Most people have friends outside of their main "group" and they don't feel the need to make excuses for talking to them. Sure there's resentment and sure there's drama, but Glee was like the embodiment of every high school stereotype. Sorry, end of mini-rant. It just bothers me when middle-aged men put "clever" observations into their teenage characters' mouths ("Being anonymous is worse than being poor") and don't bother to have them behave anything like real teenagers.

But I did love the music. The last few minutes had me grinning like the Cheshire cat.

9 comments:

Martha Flynn said...

I am the exact demographic for this show (read: musical wh*re) but I do know what you mean re: stereotyping buuuut I feel like the scene with the teacher nailing the lead for pot hints that the writers are being a little tongue in cheek with the stereotypes and hopefully, hopefully, hopefully will branch out in future episodes. ("I had a football scholarship?")

The music is just too good for me to turn away!!!!

Mads said...

Yeah, you're probably right. If they give it a bit more of an edge, I'll like the show a lot more.

I will be watching in the fall, mostly because, like you said, the music is just so, so great.

Meredith said...

Really? I loved it! Of course, it was super-unrealistic, but I think that's part of the appeal for shows like that. It made me realize how good High School Musical could have been if Disney hired some good writers. And at least the characters were relatively multi-dimensional, even if the cliques weren't.

I don't think I've ever seen a very realistic portrayal of the average high school's social hierarchies on network tv, so any show where the teens say clever things is good enough for me.

But yeah, the girls' line about being anonymous was cheesy and unnecessary because that was already obviously her philosophy on life.

Mads said...

Ok, there is a slight possibility that I overreacted. I think I was expecting to love it so much that when it wasn't perfect I got kinda bummed out. I don't know, something about all the earnestness and the unrelentless "follow your dreams" and "everyone is special" attitudes was just really off-putting.

Because I can suspend reality when it comes to monsters and motorcycle gangs, but apperently not when it comes to high school cliches.

But it was only the pilot.

And I may or may not have rewatched the "Don't Stop Believing" scene about 10 times over the past few days.

Meredith said...

Yeah, I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to be quite so earnest and unrealistic. We'll just have to see how the rest of the show turns out!

I'm wondering how lame I would be if I downloaded their version of "Don't Stop Believing" and listened to it 24/7. I hear it's on itunes...

Caps Lock said...

It's appealing to such a small demographic I doubt it lasts more than a few episodes.

Mads said...

I don't know, Fox is promoting the heck out of it. And it's going to be on after So You Think You Can Dance.

And Meredith, that song was awesome. Therefore, downloading it makes you awesome. And not at all lame. At least, that is what I am telling myself, because I just bought it on itunes.

Meredith said...

Normally I'd agree that it would get canceled after a few episodes since high school shows that aren't full of rich kids and sex generally don't do too well, but Fox isn't going to cancel the show without a fight. Especially since it's one of their, what, 3 new shows next season.

All right! I am definitely downloading that song :)

Lily said...

what annoyed me most about it was the "mercedes jones" character. like, oh, an overweight black girl who sings just like aretha franklin-- but best believe she has the diva attitude to match! she also says "hell to the naw" and is super stylish! THAT'S SO ORIGINAL. like, can you THINK of a bigger TV character stereotype? and of course, there's The Jock, The Ambitious Tracy Fick-style Drama Geek, The Theater Gay, etc.
I feel like a lot of high school movies and shows are chock full of high school stereotypes and stock characters, and I think in some cases it works. For instance, Freaks and Geeks and Mean Girls both created very dramatized, stereotypical high school worlds, but what made that work was that they both did something original with it. I think that those were almost parodies of themselves, and parodies of high school movies. But I think with a show like "Glee," it has such an earnest tone that all of the Bitchy Cheerleaders and Clique Warfare just seems silly.
But that's just the pilot, and I DEFINITELY think it has the potential to get a lot better.

damn, I just wrote a freaking essay.

Copyright © 2008 - MADdy's TV - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template